Statement Of Intent
- The NSW TC is committed to complying with its obligations under the Privacy Act by protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your Personal Information.
- The purpose of this policy is to outline how we handle the “Personal Information”.
Application of this Policy
- Except to the extent that any contrary intention is expressed, this policy: (a) applies when the NSW TC collects, uses, discloses, stores, accesses or corrects your Personal Information; and (b) must be read in conjunction with the Privacy Act including the Australian Privacy Principles.
- Capitalised terms used in this policy are defined in clause 3 and clause 14.
- This document may be updated or revised by NSW TC at any time.
What is Personal Information?
- Personal Information means information or an opinion about an individual (who can reasonably be identified), whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
What kinds of Personal Information does the NSW TC collect and hold?
- The NSW TC collects a wide range of Personal Information, and in some cases sensitive information. The information we collect includes: (a) your contact details including your date of birth; (b) your citizenship, migration and visa status; (c) your driving history; (d) your criminal history; (e) your medical history; (f) details of your proficiency at English which may include details of your level of schooling and education details; (g) your credit history; (h) information about what goods or services you receive from the NSW TC; (i) things you say or do (or things said about you) in connection with goods or services your receive from the NSW TC; and (j) images or video of you.
- From time to time, we may collect additional information related to specific services or activities. Wherever practicable, we will advise you of the information being collected and provide you with an opportunity to refuse the collection of information.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
- Your Personal Information is collected when you make an Application with the NSW TC and as a result of your visits to (or dealings with) the NSW TC.
- Information is collected by recording information that you provide to us, by electronic means, and the observations of our staff.
- Information is also collected from third parties (including Government and Regulatory bodies) as a result of enquiries we make to assess and process your Application including checks made of your visa status, criminal history, driving history and education levels.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
- We use your personal information primarily to allow us to carry out the activities and functions listed above. We also use your personal information for secondary purposes related to those activities or when allowed under the Privacy Act.
- The NSW TC may also use the personal information we collect from you for direct marketing of products and services to you including from third party suppliers. You can refuse any direct marketing by contacting us in writing.
How do we use your Personal Information?
- When you lodge an Application with NSW TC, NSW TC must collect information about you to properly assess whether or not you are a fit and proper person and suitable to hold the position for which you have applied.
- The NSW TC must also collect information to determine whether or not you meet the relevant requirements contained in the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Act 2016 and associated regulations.
- NSW TC may also collect information about you to provide products and services to you and others.
Does the NSW TC disclose my Personal Information to others?
- We need to disclose some of your Personal Information to third parties (including Government and Regulatory bodies) to carry out certain checks (including visa checks, identity checks, criminal history checks, driving history checks, work and education check).
- There may be times when we may need to disclose your personal information to third parties including taxi networks, the NSW TC’s legal or financial advisers or others. Personal information will only be disclosed to these parties for a purpose permitted by the Privacy Act and/or this policy and your consent will first be obtained where appropriate.
- We may also need to disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes of allowing us to carry out the activities listed above. For example, from time to time, the NSW TC engages external companies to carry out mail services, IT storage services and software related services. These external companies only have access to the information necessary to provide services to the NSW TC. They are required to comply with the Privacy Act and must offer privacy standards comparable to those offered by us.
- We will disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by law enforcement agencies, the Australian Electoral Office, the Department of Family Services, the Department of Immigration or the Australian Taxation Office.
How do we hold and protect your Personal Information?
- Personal information that is held by the NSW TC is stored both electronically and by hard copy. The NSW TC takes reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is safe and secure from unauthorised use and disclosure whether such information is stored electronically or in hard copy.
- Your personal information is securely destroyed when it is no longer needed or when it is out of date.
Are we likely to disclose Personal Information overseas?
- The NSW TC may use overseas secure cloud storage services. Information is disclosed to this facility for the purposes of storage. This constitutes a disclosure under the Privacy Act.
What does this policy mean?
- By making an Application with NSW TC or as a result of receiving services from the NSW TC or by attending the NSW TC or participating in an activity arranged by the NSW TC, you consent to the terms of this policy.
- From time to time, your additional consent will be sought for the collection, use or disclosure of information for purposes other than as set out in this policy.
- If you do not agree to any part of this policy you can withhold some or all of your Personal Information but a failure to provide all the requested information may result in your Application being refused or other services not able to be supplied to you,
How do I access, update or correct the Personal Information held by the NSW TC about me?
- You can request access the Personal Information we hold about you by contacting the Privacy Officer at NSW TC.
- We will not charge you for making the request. However, we may need to charge you for our time to answer your request. We will advise you in advance if there are to be any charges associated with complying with your request.
- We will respond to your request in a reasonable time frame (usually not more than 30 days). When you request access we may need further information from you to verify your identity.
- There are a number of reasons we may be unable to give you access to your information. If we are not able to provide access to your information we will provide you with our written reasons.
- If you believe any of the Personal Information that we hold about you is incorrect you can ask us to correct it.
- If asked to correct your Personal Information we will take reasonable steps to correct the information to ensure that it is accurate, up to date, relevant and not misleading. If we refuse to correct your Personal Information we will give you written reasons.
How do I make a complaint about privacy at the NSW TC?
- If you believe we have breached the Privacy Act or any of the Australian Privacy Principles or if you want to raise any issues you may have about privacy at the Club, please contact the Privacy officer at the NSW TC.
- In making a complaint to the NSW TC about privacy, please give us enough details to be able to provide identify your concerns and response appropriately. You must provide us with your name and contact details and a description of your complaint. We will respond to you in a reasonable time frame (usually not more than 30 days). If you are unhappy with how we handle the complaint you have a right to take the complaint to the Information Commissioner.
You can contact NSW TC’s Privacy Officer by:
Tel: Nick Abrahim
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Post: Deputy CEO
In this policy, the following words and phrases have the following meanings unless the context otherwise requires:
means any application made with the NSW TC including for a driver authority, operator authority or WAT driver authority and includes any application to renew those authorities.
Australian Privacy Principles
means the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act.
means the NSW Taxi Council Limited.
Personal Information Privacy Act
has the meaning given to it in clause 3 of this policy means Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
- In this policy, the following words and phrases have the following meanings unless the context otherwise requires: